“Your level of success is determined by your level of discipline and perseverance.”
Education is very important in human life. Strengthening the character of discipline in education must start early. The success of character education will be the foundation for building the personality of students at the education level above and also in social life in general. For this reason, the role of teachers in Cresta is currently important in the context of the successful implementation of disciplinary character education. Discipline character is needed so that the education becomes a reliable self-building institution. Through strengthening the character of discipline, it is hoped that a future generation of young generations who are knowledgeable, cultured, moral and civilized will be born in the globalization era.
The value of disciplined character is very important for humans so that other good character values emerge:
- The importance of strengthening the value of the character of discipline in education is based on the reason that there are many student behaviours that are contrary to disciplinary norms. At this time, there were many undisciplined events shown by students. For example, undisciplined behaviour includes coming to college not on time, not wearing a complete uniform, cheating, littering, scribbling walls, skipping classes, not doing assignments, and submitting assignments not on time.
- The decline in the value of character education is very concerning. Given this, character education is very important to be given to students in colleges, in order to realize educational goals and shape the character of students to become mature individuals. To realize the achievement of the character education program, it is necessary to have the role of teachers in college find the right pattern for implementing character education values. One-character value that needs to be developed for students is the character of discipline. Discipline is an action that shows orderly behaviour and obeys various rules and regulations.
- The occurrence of undisciplined behaviour in college shows that there have been serious problems in terms of character education, especially the character of discipline. The emergence of undisciplined behaviour shows that new discipline is limited to knowledge that does not have a positive impact on changes in student behaviour every day.
- There needs to be an innovation so that violations made by students can be handled properly, one of which is through the implementation of the development of disciplined character education for students. So I feel that the Cresta environment has a strong role in shaping student’s character.
- Discipline has three kinds of characteristics, preventive discipline, corrective discipline and progressive discipline
- Fostering the disciplinary character of students in college cannot be separated from the role of the teacher. Cresta is able to coach student discipline, especially self-discipline.
Cresta is able to help students develop behaviour patterns, improve disciplinary character, and implement rules and regulations as a tool to enforce discipline. To discipline students, it is necessary to start with principles that are in accordance with the goals of national education. So that the disciplinary rules need to be guided by this, namely from, by, and for students.
Based on the background of the problems above, the formulation of the problem in this study is what is the role of the Cresta in increasing the value of disciplinary character for students? Based on the formulation of the problem above, the objective is to study and describe the role of the Cresta in improving the character of discipline for students.
THE ROLE OF TEACHERS ‘IN CRESTA
In Cresta the teachers carry out their duties have competence, one of the competences that a teacher has is social competence, namely competence that emphasizes the teacher so that he/she gets along with the community, including communicating with students.
The teacher has a very important role, especially in conveying knowledge and character education, because the teacher’s job is not only to teach, but the teacher also educates and directs students to have good behavior and attitudes. The Role of teachers in character building discipline students are teachers as educators, teachers as instructors, teachers as mentors, teachers as trainers, and teachers as role models.
The teacher as an educator not only knows about the material to be taught, but he also must have a strong personality that makes him a role model for his students. This is important because as an
educator, the teacher not only teaches students to know one kind of thing but the teacher teaches and tells various things. The teacher also has to train the skills, attitudes and mentality of students.
Teachers as educators, namely where teachers become role models for students and their environment. The teacher’s role as an educator requires a teacher to maintain his authority, be responsible, disciplined, independent, and have a good personality so that he/she can be an example for his students.
Teachers as instructors, namely teachers carry out their duties in planning and implementing learning. In addition to teaching, teachers also make efforts to change attitudes, skills, habits, social relationships, appreciation, and so on. The teacher as a guide is a teacher who guides or guides students to an attitude that should be done. He is more directed to students’ affective rather than cognitive.
The teacher as a trainer is a teacher who can simultaneously be a guide, teacher, educator, motivator and so on. Where the teacher produces a skill or expertise that is taught to students, and is more directed at students’ psychomotor.
The role of the teacher as a role model is very important in order to shape the character of the students being taught. Modelling can be used as the main method in character education. In developing disciplined character, exemplary is needed in every educational environment, namely the college, family, and community environment. In the college environment, teacher exemplary is needed in the development of disciplinary character. The teacher’s exemplary determines the success of students in the process of having knowledge about character, feelings about character, and actions that reflect character.
Character education contains three stages of activity, namely imparting knowledge about character, feelings about character, and actions that reflect character. Judging from the three stages of these activities, it can be seen that character education is actually the same as other types of education, namely that it must touch the three realms of the human psyche, namely the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains.
Education is expected to take an important part in educating and instilling good character values in students. Character education in the context of education in Cresta is noble values based on the culture of the nation itself to shape and nurture students to become the nation’s next generation. However, in reality education today only pays more attention to intellectual aspects rather than emotional and spiritual aspects, so it is not surprising that many of us see deviant behavior from students.
The implementation of disciplinary character education can be carried out through several policies, namely creating a character education program, establishing college rules and class regulations, monitoring student disciplinary behavior , involving parents and college committees. The character building program for students in Cresta is realized through intra-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The method of character building students can be done using the method of habituation, exemplary, lectures and simulations.
The Role of teachers in the character building of student discipline at Cresta is a teacher as an educator, a teacher as an instructor, a teacher as a guide, a teacher as a trainer, and a teacher as an evaluator. The teacher’s efforts in shaping student character are by using the method of habituation, exemplary, lectures and simulations. From these methods, graduates that each student must have, namely: discipline that comes from within the individual himself and discipline that comes from outside himself. From the various methods and programs launched at Cresta, students have seen a change in attitude and behaviour that reflects the character of the discipline. This study at Cresta recommends the teacher to be able to act as a good role model, to provide guidance and supervision to improve student discipline.